Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dr. Stilson here I come.

I didn't have a whole lot to do today. I got up and had a bowl of cracked wheat with Gloria before she had to go to work. I needed the minivan today, so I drove her to school so that she would be there as close to 7:00 o'clock as possible.

We've been keeping our eyes on a used Bernina 1120 sewing machine on Ebay. It's the same model that she received as a gift from Terry and Suzette when we were living in Clarkston, Washington in 1979. She used it for so long that she literally worked it to death. She loved working with it and was broken hearted when the technician she has service her machines told her that even though it was a rugged machine and a well-built one, it was worn out and it would simply cost more to try and fix it than it was worth. So, we're in the hunt for a replacement. There have been several bids on this particular one, but I didn't want to bid until right before bidding closed, which would be around 4:55 p.m.

My appointment at the dentist was for 1:00 this afternoon. I didn't know how long that would take, but I figured it shouldn't be more than an hour or two at the most. I showered around 11:00 a.m. and got dressed into my street clothes. I left in plenty of time before the scheduled time and was actually 15 minutes early. Within short order, I was directed to the appropriate room and prepped by the dental assistant. Dr. Stilson showed up about 10 minutes later, applied the Novocaine, and after another 10 minutes began removing the old cap on my tooth. Then came the removal of the new cavity, inserting the new silver filling, and polishing up the work. Within about an hour I was finished and on my way out the door.

I came home from the dentist's office and waited until Gloria called from the high school to have me come and pick her up. She had an appointment with her visiting teaching companion, Sister Janet Beach, to begin their monthly visits that were scheduled to keep them busy until about 7:30 later in the evening. It had started to rain when I went to pick Gloria up after she called at about 3:35. She was running a little late because of the amount of work that she had to take care of for the day before leaving so she barely got home and changed into a dress before Sister Beach arrived to pick her up. They were scheduled to visit four sisters--and Gloria had been lucky to get them all scheduled on the same evening and after only one call to each of them.

At 4:30 I opened my Ebay account and logged into the sewing machine being auctioned. There had been 19 bids up to that point, but the last bid made had remained the same most of the day. At about 4:53 I put in my bid with about a minute and a half left. It then showed that mine was then the highest bid. I then bumped up my maximum bid amount by about $40 just seconds before time was to run out in case someone made a higher bid before the auction closed that would out bid my initial offer. After time had elapsed, I reset the screen to see the results. When Gloria returned home from visiting teaching at about 7:45 later that evening, I told her that she was the proud owner of a Bernina 1120 model sewing machine just like the one she had loved so much before she had to send it to the sewing machine grave yard. She is now the owner of four different sewing machines of various kinds, including her mother's old vintage Singer in a wooden sewing cabinet, and one serger.

We were both pretty tired by then. I hadn't had my daily nap, again! And with all the things that had happened today, our comfortable bed was quite inviting. I don't even remember what, if anything, we ate this evening. Oh well, they say that fasting is good for the soul.

Gloria was in bed by 9:00 p.m., but I got enthralled in reading some material on the Internet and didn't get to bed until close to 11:00 o'clock. When will I ever learn?

No comments: