Thursday, May 20, 2010

If it's Thursday, we must be in Price, again!

The day started out nice and sunny. Then I took a nap at 2:10 p.m. and awoke when the alarm on my clock radio went off at 3:15. At about the same time, Gloria returned home from work and I dragged my creaky old body out of bed and noticed it was overcast outside and looked like we're about to receive some rain.

I spent most of the morning trying to recover some files from a 3 1/2 inch diskette that I had done using WordPerfect back in 1989, including some letters that I had keyed and sent to James while he was in Chile on his mission. I had to do quite a bit of reformatting the files into Word. There were some other documents I had put on the disk that I got a few chuckles from as I recalled the circumstances or reasons why I had created them. I enjoy being able to look back in time and recall interesting experiences that at the time weren't very enjoyable and seeing how they turned out.

Gloria is enjoying the Bernina sewing machine I bought for her on Ebay this week. It's like the one that Suzette and Terry bought for her while we were living in Clarkston, WA. She literally wore that machine out; and Bernina makes excellent, high-quality, durable machines.

We learned of two people we were somewhat acquainted with who died recently. One was a lady in our ward who suffered for several years from Alzheimer disease and the other was a woman who often substitute taught at the high school who had undergone surgery but was later put under induced coma and was never able to be brought out of it. We're planning to attend a grave-side service for the sister from our ward tomorrow, May 21.

Mary is doing better after her surgery. However, she still needs to stay down and not rush things too fast. She's under doctor's orders to do no lifting for five to six weeks. Melanie is doing a lot to help with the children during the day while Tyler is working. And the older children, Alicia and Canyon, have been taking turns staying home from school in the afternoons while Isaac goes to school. And members of the ward are helping with evening meals this week and next Monday. Gloria and I want to be able to spend a couple of days helping her, as does James while his family is in Arizona for a week and a half.

School ended for Gloria today. Graduation exercises for the seniors was this afternoon. However, she is on a year around work schedule and will be working on through the summer. At least, that's what we think is going to happen. Who knows with the employment situation these days. The superintendent of schools retired this spring and the newly hired superintendent was introduced to the high school staff on Monday of this week. Gloria was favorably impressed with his background, experience, and overall philosophy about education and hopes he will be as successful here in Carbon County as he has been in other districts.

Well, it's about time for me to "bag it." My eyes are getting blurry and my fingers are getting tired. So, I'm "off like a dirty shirt." Until next time.

No comments: