Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Trails To You

It's Saturday night and I find myself glued in front of out computer again working on the blog.

This morning, Gloria was up early and did some exercises on the Nordic Track. Then she did some preparation for her Primary class tomorrow. That's what she was doing when I got up around 6:15. I powdered my nose and put on my jogging pants and a short sleeved shirt and some socks. Then I headed for the kitchen.

Out came a large and a small frying pan--the large one was cast-iron and the small one was Teflon coated. I put some frozen hash-brown potatoes in the cast-iron pan and some turkey bacon in the small one. After the bacon was done, I turned on the burner and put the bacon on a plate covered with a napkin and then I mixed three eggs and a little milk in a Tupperware measuring cup and finished warming up or cooking, the potatoes. When they were done, I pushed them to the side of the pan while I poured in the eggs and scrambled them to just the right consistency. I announced to Gloria that breakfast was ready and proceeded to dish the bacon, eggs, and hash-browns on to separate plates and placed them on the table with two plastic cups and a gallon of 1% milk. There was also placed some salt and pepper and catsup for flavoring. Bon apetit!

Just as we had finished eating and started to clean up a bit, Gloria telephoned Mary for some reason, I don't recall what. As Mary answered the telephone and Gloria began speaking to her, Gloria sensed in her voice that something was wrong. Mary explained that they were in their car and on their way to the hospital. They were going to leave the children at Melanie and Randy's house while Tyler drove Mary to the hospital with severe lower abdominal pain. She started having them last Monday and Tuesday but didn't do anything about it thinking that it would eventually go away. It didn't. Finally, she spent a sleepless night last night and early this morning before deciding to take her to the Emergency Room for professional medical treatment. Tyler telephoned us and told us he would keep us updated throughout the day with information on Mary's condition.

After finishing breakfast, I washed the dishes while Gloria began gathering the dirty laundry to be washed. Then, I headed for the computer, again. I got involved with trying to figure out how to download YouTube videos into my blogspot. In the meantime, Gloria had headed to the out of doors and had planted two rows of our tomatoes that we had grown from seed. Around noon, she took a quick shower and went with Sister Wells to see Sister Norton's (a different Sister Norton than the one we home teach) new kitchen cabinets.

After testing her blood and taking an ultra-sound scan it was determined that Mary was having an ectopic pregnancy, where an ovum has started to grow in one of her fallopian tubes. She required surgery as soon as possible. The doctor informed them that it is considered an out-patient procedure and would not necessitate having to stay in the hospital overnight. Because it is a macroscopic procedure no incision would be necessary. However, the doctor told her that she was not to do any lifting at all for about six weeks.

When Gloria returned from Sister Norton's house, we had some lunch and then she headed outside again. This time she was going to mow the lawn again. However, after doing the front lawn, I coaxed her to go with me to get some things I need to finish the hanging tomato planters (three to be exact) that I bought last month but have never finished. We went to Surtherlands and Wal Mart. I got what I needed, and she got a bunch more garden paraphernalia that she needed, including some plastic painter's drop cloth to cover and protect the freshly planted tomatoes from potential frost and wind. When we arrived back home, she had to quickly get the tomatoes covered before a threatening dark storm cloud blew into Price and brought some rain and even a little hail. What can I say. You never can second guess Mother Nature. Right?

Mary's surgery went as planned and she was sent to recovery about an hour after they began. After spending the afternoon in recovery, she was released to go home. Tyler was instructed to be sure to help her get up each day and walk around the house, in spite of whatever pain she may experience, which may be quite severe for the first few days. He was told that the fetus was about six or seven weeks old. They were able to completely remove it, along with the beginnings of the umbilical chord. Had Mary gone another two weeks before seeing a doctor, they probably would not have been able to save her life. So, it was potentially very serious business indeed.

Anyway, we finished the bacon and cooked cabbage for lunch today, only this time it was covered with mozzarella cheese, and we also had a lettuce and tomato salad. And this evening, Gloria prepared an omelet and more salad.

1 comment:

Corenna said...

Uncle Roger, thanks for the message on Mary. We will keep their family in our prayers. Might I say, with all of the excitement that happens that early in your day, you might consider sleeping in! Aside from the silly, my goodness, I feel sick for Mary and hear that is excruciating pain. Please keep us posted on her progress in health. So thankful she will be alright. Love you & Aunt Gloria! Corenna