Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's Thursday, we must be in Price.

Top of the afternoon to everyone. Yes, it's Thursday. Sorry, but I missed yesterday's post. But, for some weird reason I tried justifying to myself that if I didn't get anything written for Wednesday that I could simply do it on Thursday, today. However, if I did that, it would show today's date on it rather than yesterday's date. Da! Oh well, I'll simply combine them into one, even though Blogger will only let me show today's date. So, here goes.

On Wednesday, I woke up early, around 5:15 a.m. Then, when I realized Gloria had gotten up and left the bedroom, I turned over from my right side to my left side, like I normally do, and went back to sleep. Normally, I hear Gloria using her hair dryer around 6:30; but, this time I did not. In fact, I got up around 7:00 o'clock and found the house to be as quiet as a proverbial church mouse. Gloria usually slips into our bedroom to say she is leaving to go to work and to say goodbye. Again, she didn't do so. She hasn't been feeling very well this week and it's caused her to be more than usual on edge. She's been anxious about getting some things done around the house and the yard but the persistent cold and windy weather has apparently put her in a bad mood. She's feeling the pressure of having to work all day at school and then come home and have to do so many things here at home, especially the weeding, mowing the lawn, cleaning up the yard, and getting the garden ready to plant. It has her frustrated because she's been having reoccurring headaches and back and shoulder muscle pains. Anyway, she's tired and worn out most of the time. And in addition to all the physical work she has to do, she also has to plan and prepare for her Primary class each week, along with the various and sundry projects that she is constantly working on. My goodness, it's enough to make me wonder how she is going to be able to keep up with it all. When will the madness stop?

I may have mentioned to some of you that I purchased a new lawn mower for the yard. I decided that since Gloria does whatever mowing there is to do that it should be as easy and labor saving as possible. So, we invested in a mower that is a rear-wheel, self-propelled model with a key ignition system. The instruction manual directed us to charge the ignition battery for at least 24 hours before the initial use. So, we extended an electrical extension chord out the back door on Tuesday evening around 5:00 o'clock and left it plugged in until yesterday, Wednesday, at about the same time. Gloria had driven to the gas station and bought a gallon of gas. She filled the engine with oil and gas, held the control lever down with her left hand, inserted the starter key into the ignition switch with her right hand, and gave it a twist. Brrruuuumm! It started like a jewel. We both momentarily stared at each other with a pleasant smile and somewhat surprised look on our faces. Then, I told Gloria to grasp the red accelerator handle and pull it toward her. She did so, and immediately the growling machine leaped forward with a jerk and started forward. It reminded me somewhat of a small woman walking a giant dog on a leash when the animal sees a cat or another animal and immediately lunges toward it at a swift pace, nearly pulling its owner off her feet and battling to try and keep up with the runaway dog.

When Gloria was finished mowing the lawn we sat down and ate left overs from two days back. In fact, we actually had meat loaf from last Sunday, beets from Monday, I think, and mashed potatoes from who knows when. I warmed them up while Gloria was changing from her work clothes to her house coat. After dinner, it was sewing time for the Mrs. and a little bit of TV time for Grandpa. I had over 30 segments of the Glenn Beck show recorded on our DVR plus some old NBA games and a couple of movies. I ended up erasing everything but one movie. It is called "War" and it was filmed back in 1994 I think. It starred Kevin Costner and is rated PG-13. I watched it until about 9:15 and then I decided to stop it and go to bed. I was going to finish it today, but it doesn't look like I'll get to it before I have to go to bed again. Oh well, maybe manaƱa, okay?

This morning I got out of bed around 6:00 a.m. I wanted to make sure Gloria didn't sneak out on me again. But, then I realized that I had an appointment to have my teeth checked and cleaned at 10:30. I got dressed and drove Gloria to work around 7:00 then I returned home and fiddled around on the computer checking emails and looking at the KSL-TV news website. I took a shower at 9:15 and was at the dentist's office by 10:25. The hygienist took me right in and began taking x-rays of my teeth. She was using a new digital scanner that was hooked up to her PC next to the chair I was sitting in and I could see the x-ray instantaneously on the computer screen. It was pretty cool. She then cleaned my teeth and the dentist, Dr. Stilson, came in. He looked at the x-rays and informed me that he could see a cavity in one of my teeth on the upper-right side of my mouth, the second tooth from the back. He said he would need to remove the filling already in the tooth to determine whether he can remove the cavity and make another filling or else put a cap on the whole tooth. A new filling will cost $168. A cap on the tooth will cost $700. With our dental insurance plan, the filling would cost us about $80 and the cap would cost us $350. I hope we have enough money in our flexible spending account to cover most, if not all, of it.

After the good news from the dentist, we made an appointment for me to go back for the dental work next Wednesday and 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon. Then I came home and ate some lunch. I got involved in some work online again until Gloria called around 3:10. I drove over to pick her up at the high school and we drove to the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) and paid for the renewal of our car registration. Then we drove to the Dollar Store to pick up some things Gloria needed. And finally we went to Wal Mart to do some grocery shopping. We cleaned up and reorganized the second bedroom so James' girls will have a place to sleep when they come to visit us tomorrow, Friday the 8th. Stephanie will be in the Buffalo, NY area doing a seminar so the rest of the family will spend the weekend with us. We hope they don't get too bored.



Well it's almost 9:00 o'clock and it's to sign off. So ......

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU, 'TIL WE MEET AGAIN. Love, Grandpa

No comments: